Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mayhem in the Mall: 2012 Western Canada Armwrestling Championships

Well I went as a spectator to my first arm wrestling tournament at the West Edmonton Mall here in Alberta. Lots of competitors from youth categories all the way up to really seasoned people from all of the Western provinces.

I picked up a lot just by watching how the various people would position themselves and their feet and their different modes if attack. There were also quite a few really hard fought matches and super matches.

Afterwards Fraser introduced me to a few of the competitors and I got a little table time with them which was awesome. I got to pull a bit with Ryan Espey (probably one of the calmest looking competitors there), Scott LaRoque (built like a brick shithouse and a really nice guy) and Matt Mask (probably about 6'5" of lightening). This was a lot of fun a these guys were three of the best there. They let me fight and pull and hopefully not to bad giving me some tips and feedback which is really appreciated.

I also got to meet another couple of great competitors and people who I'd met on Facebook through the Alberta Armwresters group and I got to speak quite a bit with Chris Beauchemin (another really nice guy).

I'm really looking forward to continuing to develop skills with this stuff and eventually competing. It's a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment